Tuesday, May 24, 2011

THE CANE

ALS moves into your life like a stealth bomber lurking over it's target waiting to seek and destroy. Don was given a cane by the VA to help him get up and around in the morning, he gladly took the Cane home with him but it sat up against a wall for the first few days. I initially could not see the significance of this piece of curved metal but to Don it was eating away at his mind. then one morning he started to use the cane and to my surprise was walking around the house with it for almost a whole day, that same evening he called to me and looked me straight in my eyes and said " I hate this cane!, this cane makes me realise I am truly unwell, this cane represents what ALS is doing to my body", it was then that Don realised and understood and accepted he has ALS and that he is in a battle for his very life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog